The Firm of C. Pether & Sons was started in Burford in 1878 by Chas Pether, who earned a living as a small builder and undertaker.
The business was taken on by his two sons to become one of the biggest employers of local men, at one point employing 130 tradesmen and apprentices in the 1920’s and 1930’s. The firm, now in its 5th generation, is now run by James and Piers Pether, who took the business on from their father David Pether 6 years ago.
Although now smaller than before, the name Pether in Burford is associated with quality building and roofing work, specialising in extensions and renovation of listed buildings in the Cotswolds in a traditional and sympathetic style. The firm continues to work closely with local architects and a skilled team of local craftsmen, plumbers and electricians, where personal service is always paramount.